So for those who follow my Instagram and read my post, I love carrot cake and I love cheese cake! However, I don’t really know how to make a cheese cake flavoured porridge so I chose to make a carrot cake version! I’ve made Sarah Wilson’s Carrot Cake Overnight Chia Oats which I love but I’m trying out creating recipes on my own. It’s a take on zoatmeal (zucchini oatmeal) but carrotfied! I love substituting some oats with additional vegetables as it gives it a real nutrients boost! It always gives the taste buds a nice break from tasting ordinary oatmeal which I love but can get quite boring. So if you’re looking for a way to spice up your porridge and get more vegetables into your diet then follow this recipe! It’s creamy, voluminous, bursting with flavour and super healthy for you.
Carrot Cake Oats
1/2 cup oats
– 1 small or 1/2 large carrot, grated
– 1/2 cup plant based milk (I used either coconut or almond) + 1/2 cup water. You may need to add more or less depending on the consistency you want and if you’re making these as overnight oats or as porridge.
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg, ginger and all spice
– 1 tbsp chia seeds
Optional add ins: pb2 powder, hemp seeds, protein powder, maca powder, flax seeds or almond butter
For stove top oats
– Grate the carrot into the saucepan
– Add in all other ingredients and stir until desired consistency
– Top with your favourite toppings! I’ve made this a few times so my toppings change all of the time but I love adding additional fruit, nuts and spreads (e.g. nut butter or tahini)
For overnight oats:
Add all ingredients into a mason jar or a bowl, stir or shake to combine and let sit in the fridge overnight. Add additional water or milk in the morning if needed.
Enjoy! Jess xx